Blog Intro


Sunday, April 18, 2010

Oksana's Story

How are Ukrainians dealing with the corruption? Ovbiosly this is a tremendous struggle for Ukraine's people. So how do they deal with it?

“Some people stay and deal with the corruption. They have nowhere to go and no money to go anywhere else, so they are forced to stay. The select few who are fortunate enough to have family elsewhere and have enough money to leave, attempt to get a green card to leave. When I say attempt, I mean it is rare for a family to actually get one. Getting a green card is extremely difficult. It took my family 3 tries to finally be accepted and given one. We were one of the lucky ones.”

“My family and I left Ukraine when I was ten years old to get away for the corruption. My family wanted my brother and I to have opportunities in life, which do not exist in Ukraine. We came to gain an education and have the chance to make something of ourselves. Yes, we struggled greatly, but through our hard work and perseverance we were able to live a happy life here. My parents have learned how to make a living and I am here at Loyola University. I could say we have become very successful. We are one of the few success stories to make it our of Ukraine and succeed.”

No comments:

Post a Comment